FOCUS Greater Syracuse has a number of programs and initiatives that fulfill our mission of facilitating, educating, and celebrating citizen engagement. Below is a description of current and past programs, as well as links to each for more detail.
- FOCUS Forums: Each month FOCUS is host for a free public forum on a topic of interest to the region presented by experts in education, environment, culture and the arts, recreation, business, health, and public service.
- Citizens Academy: Each autumn, working with Syracuse University Office of Community Engagement, FOCUS presents an ten-week seminar for citizens about the operations of government and public service in Onondaga County. Participants discuss topics such as economic development, health, environment, safety and crime prevention with panels of experts at venues such as Common Council Chambers, Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant, and the Justice Center.
- Wisdom Keeper Celebration: Each year FOCUS celebrates the achievements and shares the lessons of a successful Wisdom Keeper at the not-for-profit organization’s sole fund-raiser of the year.
PROJECTS, CONTRACTS, AND GRANTS; RESEARCH AND REPORTS:
- Patterns of Government
- Life Needs Assessment Survey
- 2020-2021 Livability Alliance of Onondaga County
- “FOCUS on Onondaga Lake” Onondaga County
- “Shaping an Age-Friendly CNY”
- Citizens Response to Pandemic Flu: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Citizen input to CDC 10 Year Plan: Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- “PCORI” Patient Centered Outcome Research:
- The Rhea Eckel Clark Citizenship Award for its active role in promoting cooperation among citizens, agencies and local elected officials, the CNY Regional and Development Planning Board recognized the hundreds of FOCUS volunteers who continually strive to make Central New York a better place.
- FOCUS and University College of Syracuse University received the international University & Professional Continuing Education Association Award for creating a successful Citizens Academy
- Executive Director on behalf of FOCUS received the national Purpose Prize Award from the Franklin Templeton Foundation, Atlantic Philanthropies and Civic Ventures.
- JCPenney Golden Rule Award for exceptional citizen engagement and volunteer service.
- Syracuse Rotary Award for citizen engagement and volunteer service.