FOCUS is a citizen driven organization that taps citizen creativity
to bring about change in Central New York by enabling citizens,
organizations and government to work together to enhance the quality of our lives
and our economic future.
FOCUS engages in citizen-centered research, engagement and planning.
FOCUS facilitates, educates, and celebrates citizen engagement!
What is FOCUS Greater Syracuse?
FOCUS Greater Syracuse is a nonprofit organization that provides programs, services, and reports that increase civic engagement, participation, and education in the Central New York community.
For over 20 years, FOCUS has successfully connected everyday engaged citizens with local governments, organizations, and businesses to bring about positive changes in our community and inspire civic engagement.
FOCUS FACILITATES CITIZEN-CENTERED CIVIC ENGAGEMENT; THE FOUNDATION OF DEMOCRACY:
- FOCUS promotes civic engagement to enrich and deepen the democratic process by including citizens in public dialogue and deliberation, contributing to public policy decisions.
- FOCUS promotes sustainable decision-making by citizens through education and outreach.
|“Forging Our Community’s United Strength,” FOCUS Greater Syracuse is a community-wide visioning program created with the goal of making Syracuse a better place to live and work. Started by a group of interested residents, the program, loosely modeled after several visioning projects around the country, came out of the desire to determine a course of action and growth for Syracuse. FOCUS Greater Syracuse is a not-for-profit organization.|
What is different about FOCUS Greater Syracuse from other visioning programs is that the ideas came from thousands of every day folks, the citizens of Syracuse and Central New York, not from people in authority positions.
FOCUS asked the citizens of Greater Syracuse what their dreams were for the future of our community. What did they want Central New York to look like in the future? They came up with real goals. READ ABOUT THE COMMUNITY GOALS HERE.
For our 20th anniversary in 2018, we highlighted 20 GOALS for 20 YEARS.
|– FOCUS Forums: Each month FOCUS is host for a free public forum on a topic of interest to the region presented by experts in education, environment, culture and the arts, recreation, business, health, and public service.|
– Citizens Academy: Each autumn, working with Syracuse University Office of Community Engagement, FOCUS presents a 10-week seminar for citizens about the operations of government and public service in Onondaga County. Participants discuss topics such as economic development, health, environment, safety and crime prevention with panels of experts at venues such as Common Council Chambers, Metropolitan Wastewater Treatment Plant, and the Justice Center.
– Wisdom Keeper Celebration: Each year FOCUS celebrates the achievements and shares the lessons of a successful Wisdom Keeper at the not-for-profit organization’s sole fund-raiser of the year.
– Research, Contracts, Reports, and Initiatives: FOCUS engages in citizen-centered research initiatives and publishes reports and recommendations based on these findings, many of which are utilized by Onondaga County and the City of Syracuse, as well as other organizations, businesses, and by individuals for future planning.
Examples: Patterns of Government, Livability Alliance of Onondaga County, CNY-CAN, PCORI, Citizens Response to Pandemic Flu: CDC, Citizen input to CDC 10 Year Plan, “FOCUS on Onondaga Lake”, “Shaping an Age-Friendly CNY.”
FOCUS is an independent 501 (c) 3 organization supported by your charitable contributions, grants and sponsorships. Donations can be made using the DONATION link on the homepage or by sending a check to our offices at 201 E. Washington St., Suite 704, Syracuse, NY, 13202.