MISSION STATEMENT: F.O.C.U.S. Greater Syracuse is a citizen driven organization that taps citizen creativity to impact change in Central New York by enabling citizens, organizations and government to work together to enhance the quality of our lives and our economic future. F.O.C.U.S. engages in research, public policy, public education, and public outreach to promote intelligent, inclusive, sustainable decision making for and by citizens.
OVERSIGHT: F.O.C.U.S. Board of Directors. Reports directly to the board president
JOB SUMMARY: The Executive Director provides vision and leadership within the organization and in the community, develops and guides programs to fulfill the organization’s mission and goals, consistently achieves financial objectives, works with the board to ensure sustainability, directs staff and operations, and ensures ongoing program evaluation and consistent quality of financial and administrative procedures. S/he demonstrates strong leadership, solid relationships, and in-depth knowledge of the region, its people and its organizations.
- Understand and effectively communicate F.O.C.U.S. vision and goals
- Conduct effective community outreach, public awareness, and public education.
- Stay abreast of trends, community activities, government policies and activities, and general community planning and interpret trends to board and staff.
- Plan for changes that meet evolving community needs and environment changes.
- Build collaborations with public and private entities, positive, sustainable relationships with business, government, academia, funders, and other non-profit organizations.
- Maintain a positive attitude and presence in the community and region.
- Participate in local, regional, statewide, and national activities representing F.O.C.U.S.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE BOARD:
- Achieve resource development goals through grants, contracts, fundraising, and other efforts.
- Develop, recommend and monitor annual budget.
- Maintain strong internal financial controls and reporting to ensure compliance with funding sources and regulatory requirements and audit standards.
- Recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Keep board fully informed on the state of the organization and important influencing factors.
- Support all board activities, including support of board and committee meetings.
- Work with board and committee chairs to ensure committee functions are effective.
- Assist in selecting qualified board candidates and supporting board training.
PROGRAM AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Seek contracts and grants and conduct fundraising activities to support existing operations and new program areas consistent with mission.
- Ensure that continuing contractual obligations are fulfilled.
- Review and evaluate program activities.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with other agencies and organizations.
- Manage staff of two professionals (currently). Provides leadership, direction, support and supervision.
- Evaluate each employee at least once annually and recommend any salary adjustments consistent with the budget.
- Oversee monthly expenses and payments and approve expenditures within the budget adopted by the board.
- Passion for F.O.C.U.S. mission.
- Positive attitude.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred.
- Management experience with other non-profit agencies.
- Demonstrated organizational and community leadership ability.
SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills for effective community outreach.
- Must have collaborative, positive attitude. BE+
- Inspirational and ethical leadership with ability to communicate mission to all parties.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Ability to effectively present information to diverse communities.
- Comfortable with public speaking, public relations, and the media.
- Self-starter who is efficient and productive in a challenging environment.
- Ability to navigate through and understand city, state, and federal bureaucracies.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Applications must be received by close of business March 10, 2017 and may be submitted electronically to FOCUS17ED@gmail.com or by mail to the attention of:
F.O.C.U.S. Search Committee
3675 James St
Syracuse, NY 13206
February 1, 2017
Click here for printable pdf of the job description.
Click here to return to job announcement page.