Join the conversation as we talk about the county’s and the city’s smart growth plan, its challenges, gaps and opportunities as we work together to develop a citizens action plan for our community’s Smart Growth. Read more about the City of Syracuse’s Sustainability Plan and the Onondaga County’s Sustainable Development Plan.
SMART GROWTH is development that positively serves a local economy, community and the environment. It achieves to create economic development and jobs, strong neighborhoods, healthy communities and alternate modes of transportation. Smart growth does not hinder growth, rather, it is sensible growth that marries economic development and environmental conservation.
Smart growth principles:
- Mix land uses
- Take advantage of compact building design
- Crate a range of housing opportunities and choices
- Create walkable neighborhoods
- Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place
- Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas
- Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
- Provide a variety of transportation choices
- Make development decisions predictable, fair and cost effective
- Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions (EPA 231-F-01-001A, April 2001, www.epa.com)
To join in the discussion, please contact the F.O.C.U.S. office at 448-8732 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to National Grid for supporting the F.O.C.U.S. Smart Growth Citizens Strategic Action Plan Initiative.